Spammers

general issues...
Benny Blades
Donor
Flag: United States of America

Spammers

Post by Benny Blades »

Awhile back I posted in the chat room asking how to deal with the same spammer who continues to register on my private site. Whoever this is has tried to register more than 15 times, each time I delete. I'm looking for some advice on how to deal with this spammer. Please list out steps to get rid.report him.

Thanks in advance...
Last edited by Benny Blades on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

spaceace
Site Owner
Flag: Canada

Re: Spammers

Post by spaceace »

banning IP, e-mail, and username is the first route i would take. other than that, i can't think of the sites to report them to.
Last edited by spaceace on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
if you like my work and would like to contribute to my development of styles, please donate by using the donate button in the header.

Need hosting? Click this text to check out ICDSOFT

Benny Blades
Donor

Post by Benny Blades »

How do I do all of that?
Last edited by Benny Blades on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Benny Blades
Donor

Post by Benny Blades »

OK, I see in ACP where you can ban by IP, email, I did this for this one spammer. Should I leave him in the ACP or delete now that I have banned by IP and email or leave him?

tommie
Donor
Flag: Netherlands

Post by tommie »

Yes you must keep him in the ACP , Ban there his ip and email
But when he comes with proxy then can't you ban him he always come back with another ip
Last edited by tommie on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Benny Blades
Donor

Post by Benny Blades »

But when he comes with proxy then can't you ban him he always come back with another ip
I don't understand this. Please explain to me in laymen's terms. Just tell me what I need to do. So I have to keep banning IP over and over while keeping him in my ACP???

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

if the user uses a proxy(fake IP) then you would need to ban the new proxy IP as well. persistent spammers are always hard to deal with, but it can be done ;)

an example of a proxy server would be something like this Anonymouse.org
if you like my work and would like to contribute to my development of styles, please donate by using the donate button in the header.

Benny Blades
Donor

Post by Benny Blades »

So keep banning IP's, emails, and keep them in my ACP? I normally delete them because I don't like looking at the names.

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

by deleting the names, you will lose the ban. i know it's annoying to see a long list, but believe me, it's worth keeping that list ;)

Gnome!
Site Admin
Flag: Australia

Post by Gnome! »

Try this...

Go to ACP>Spambot Countermeasure>Available Plugins. Select Q&A then select Configure. You will be taken to a page that has the space to ADD your Question/Questions

Make the Question relevant to something only you know the correct answer to.

Now for the Answers .. yes that's right, ANSWERS ... I have set MULTIPLE answers yet they are ALL correct to the specific question. By this I mean to do your Question and Answers like below:
Code: Select all
QUESTION: What year was Abraham Lincoln born?

ANSWERS:

1809-02-12
February 12, 1809
12/02/1809
1809 2 12
Thwelth February Nineteen hundred and nine  
February twelve nineteen hundred & 9

~Note~ That ALL the answers are correct and that the person or bot trying to register has to get at least ONE correct to get past the Q&A ... SO what you say well then this is where YOU get creative for your own specific question.

May I suggest that you use the Question:
Code: Select all
What year/time was (your website)created.
Again use Multiple answers all being correct.

I have used the above questions on 3 separate websites, ALL very heavily trafficked by spammers and thus far have not had a single spammer get through since implementing this method. Also remember that you can change the question/s and answer/s at anytime you like.

Regards,
Last edited by Gnome! on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gnome!

Knows, I have just enough. Enough to make me content, enough to make me want a little more, but if I don't get it, I'll be OK.