HOW TO SET UP YOUR DATABASE Using Wampserver.

Gnome!
Site Admin
Flag: Australia

HOW TO SET UP YOUR DATABASE Using Wampserver.

Post by Gnome! »

OK you have downloaded and installed Wampserver from http://www.wampserver.com to your computer.

Click on the Wampserver shortcut to open it.

Look down to the right at the user-bar, you will see a little icon there, left click on it. A pop-up will appear, left click on the www directory, it will open a new pop-up. Now you either copy and paste or drag-n-drop your downloaded phpBB3 folder into the www directory.
If you have a style you like downloaded you can drag-n-drop that into Styles folder contained in the phpBB3 folder that you just placed in the www directory. Leave the www directory open.

Alright, next step is to set up your localhost database:

Left click on the Wampserver icon again, then left click on the “Localhost” and it will open in a browser called Wampserver Homepage.
Look down to the left and you will see 3 Main Titles with Subtitles under them, right click on the “phpmyadmin” and open in a new tab/window the proceed to that tab/window, there will be several tabs across the top of the page, click on the “Database” tab.
You will see a window with the text “Create Database”, click on this and enter the name of your new database. Use your nickname or what ever name you like for this, once you have chosen your DB name you then click on the “Create” button..

Your new database will appear above the following list on the upper left hand side:
Information_schema
mysql
performance_schema
test

Once you have created your database/s save and close the tab/window to return to the first window.

OK now to create your test site database.

Look down to the left and you will see 3 Main Titles with Subtitles under them, click on the “phpBB3” subtitle, it will open to the Introductions page where there will be 3 tabs titled, Overview, Install, Convert.

Click on the “Install” tab, that will open to the “Welcome to Installation” page where you will see the following: Introduction Requirements
Database settings
Administrator details
Configuration file
Advanced settings
Create database tables
Final stage

Click the “Proceed to next step” button, that will open to the Requirements page providing that your computer has found most all the required settings (it usually does) if not then you will have to configure the settings. There will be guides to do this on the wampserver site.

OK assuming most all the settings have been found, click the “Start Install” button. Which will go to the “Database settings” page.

OK, now you have the following to fill out.

Database Type ~ MySQL with MySQLi with Extension Database Server Name ~
localhost Database Server Port ~ Leave it empty … *That is do not place any text in here.*
Database Name ~ Whatever name you created your database under.
Database Username ~ root
Database Password ~ Leave it empty … *That is do not place any text here.*
Prefix for tables in Database ~ usually the phpbb3 folder or if there is more than one database name to be used then re-name the phpbb3 folder name to any name you like (in my case I have renamed the folder to Enter)
Click the “Proceed to next step” button. This will open to the “Administrator details” page. Fill in the details like below:
Admin Username ~ whatever you like *That is type your preferred username*
Admin Password ~ whatever you like *That is type your preferred password*
Confirm Password ~ (As Above)
Contact Email Address ~ I use admin@localhost.com but you may use your name if you like IE: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ @locahost.com
Confirm Email Address ~ (As Above)

Click the “Proceed to next step” button.

You should be seeing:

Check administrator settings with the words “Test Passed” showing.

Your now on the “Advanced settings” page. LEAVE everything as it is here as it is already set up.

Your now on the “Configuration file” page. ~ You will have showing on this page.
The configuration file has been written. You may now proceed to the next step of the installation.

Your now on the “Create database tables” page.

You will have the following showing on this page.

The database tables used by phpBB 3.0 have been created and populated with some initial data. Proceed to the next screen to finish installing phpBB. Click the “Proceed to next step” button. You will be on the “Final Stage” page with, Congratulations! You have successfully installed phpBB 3.0.7-PL1. Please proceed by choosing one of the following options: Click the LOGIN button.

**Once you have done this, make sure that you go back to the phpBB3 folder, open it and either remove or rename the Install folder.**

Exit and you are done with that.

That's it you should be good ta go from there :D
Last edited by Gnome! on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gnome!

Knows, I have just enough. Enough to make me content, enough to make me want a little more, but if I don't get it, I'll be OK.